Skip to main content

Yes! We are still here...



I apologize that it has been so long since I updated the blog. At times it seems so funny to write just about our life and then it seems like so much has happened and where do I begin??? I remind myself, I just have to begin...

I love the opportunities God gives us living in Nicaragua. I love that I have the opportunity to do ministry with North Americans! This picture was taken in Granada with a team from Allendale Church in St. Petersburg, Florida. I had a good laugh as I watched from a bench as they found their way through the city. This team put on a Vacation Bible Camp in the week that they were in Nicaragua. The VBS was for kids from the neighborhood surrounding the Villa. We had 35 kids in the morning and 15 teens in the afternoon ~ it was great! The team was challenged as they gave the salvation message. Why is that so difficult? If we truly believe that their is salvation and eternal life in Jesus alone and if He has changed our lives ~ shouldn't we be thrilled to share all that we know?


Erminia and Scarleth participated in the VBS and had a great time!

Erminia and Scarleth are sisters that live at the Villa. In December their mom, Angela, passed away. In the month leading to her death the girls and I visited her in the hospital several times. Each visit we saw God do great things. Our saying together was "God is the owner of this hospital and He wants us to be with Anglea". There are strict rules at the hospital and even one visit should not have been allowed but every time we were permitted to spend time with Angela and each visit the girls learned to say thank you to God that He allowed us to pass through.






Here's some highlights from the last few months:

Visits from Grandpa Dan, Tamara Nelson and my mom.

Josh was accepted to a program called HACIA Democracy. There is a link at the bottom to read more about this.

Quince's (15 year birthday party) for Guissel Nohemi, Monica and Diana.

Our family traveled to Costa Rica in December to renew our visas, we had a great time together!

Josh and Maggie both have higher that 97% in school and William is right close behind that with 85%!

We added a chocoyo (parrot) named Raulito and a kitten named Kai to our family.

We are keeping busy and continue to learn every day. God is good and has provided for all our needs. We trust him daily to live and serve in Nicaragua.

I will be home in February for two weeks to participate in a Forward Edge facilitators training weekend and then to visit with many friends and share with many what God is doing in Nicaragua.

Thank you for loving us and always remembering us...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Ago...

Ten years ago, April of 2010 we were busy cleaning our house and selling everything we didn't think we would want in a year when we returned from Nicaragua.  Our plan was to spend a year in Nicaragua, actually, Dwight's plan was 6 months.  Our plan was for such a short time because if the kids were struggling or if it wasn't a good fit for us, then we could change plans and return to the U.S..  We rented our house furnished.  We all packed two suitcases and were ready to leave for Nicaragua on June 28.  The evening of the 27th we got a call from American Airlines saying our flight had been cancelled.  Wait a minute I thought; we are moving to Nicaragua, our bags are packed, we have left our house, you can't cancel our flight.  But they did and rescheduled us to fly out two days later. That is how our life has been over the last 10 years.  We make a plan, and our plan, for the most part, has not gone at all as we expected.  I think we are better for this.  Our expec

Let Me Consume Jesus More Than Anything

William and I have been reading through the Daily Chronological Bible since school began in August.  Our dates don't match the reading and we have picked up the pace as we realized it is not likely that we will finish before we go our separate ways.  It has been so good to spend our mornings together this way, especially during his last year of high school.  I find myself thinking on the scripture we read all through the day and the lessons we are learning.  God's Word is not an easy word.  It is filled with blessing and loss... the loss is so great, but God, over and over again redeems what was lost.  The Bible is truly the story of redemption over and over.  He is our hope and salvation. The other day William was reading John 6:56, it says, "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" .  I heard the scripture differently that day.  Maybe because this version said "feeds on my flesh" and I had mostly heard "eats my fle

How Can They Grow So Fast?

Josh got on a bus today to travel 24 hours to Panama City, Panama. He will be gone until the 14th of March participating in a conference called HACIA Democracy (Harvard Association Cultivating Inter-American Democracy). He is a Nicaraguan delegate, representing the U.S. on their stand on gun control. He has studied and now will discuss and argue with others about this topic. Dwight said to me yesterday, as we are packing his suit, how did he grow up so fast? And my question was, did we do a good enough job, what have we missed? The time with our kids is so short and I am so thankful to know that every minute of their lives God has been right there loving them, teaching them and protecting them. They love Him and that is all I could ever want. I am so proud of each one of them. They don't spend so much time cuddling together but I know they love each other and desire the best for one another. They always support each other in their work, fun and dreams. They other night we