Skip to main content

God Brought Doctors

A couple of weeks ago I was in the dump with the team from Tennessee. We had walked and met many people. We prayed for Efraim, the man with the broken knee, and his family. We prayed for a woman who had been robbed and was now being accused by the police of staging the robbery herself and facing criminal charges. We prayed for a man who's eye had been burnt by sparks from a fire, the doctors sewed his eye shut to keep it protected and when he missed his appt. by a few minutes, they would not reschedule him for 3 weeks ~ just to remove the stitches. I saw so many needs this day it was overwhelming.
As I saw overwhelming needs, I was confident that God would provide! I had a plan ~ Jennifer was coming in just a week and could fix it all, the people just needed to wait until she got there. It was a great plan and I was a part of it, perfect!

Later in the day we were helping with the feeding program and saw a group of older gentlemen arrive. Something about them looked like doctors ~ they looked smart, put together and like they had a mission. I asked Susie, "do you think they are doctors?" We walked closer to inquire more and sure enough these guys were wearing scrubs ~ doctors!

We approached the men and told them of the many needs we had just seen. They went right away to check in on each person. They removed the stitches from the mans eye and he could see! It was a miracle and the best part was that God had something "better than I could ask for or imagine". I had my plan but God has His perfect plan. In a moment where my pride was creeping in God had the best!

As time passed, Susie became concerned that we were running late in our schedule, that maybe we wouldn't get to El Faro with enough time to finish our projects. As she expressed her concern to me the only thought in my head, the one that flew out of my mouth was...."Susie, God brought doctors!"

We are still laughing and reminding each other that God brought doctors. There are many moments when we think we have it all figured out and maybe more times that we are unwilling to allow things to be different than we think they should be ~ in those moments are we missing God? Allow Him to be in charge. Allow Him to change things. After all, it's not about what I want, or what I think is best ~ it's all about what He is doing and He has invited us to be involved.
Open your eyes and I think that God will surprise you with something more than you could ask for or imagine ~ even today!

*************************************************************************************

I received an email from a dear friend in response to what I wrote here. Her words made me realize what a struggle it is for each (daily) to trust God that He has the absolute best plan for each of us! I was encouraged by what she wrote and hope you will be too.

from a friend......
During my prayer time this AM, I realized I keep hoping/wishing my job will be different next year - according to "my plan". But I know that my "plan" is not necessarily God's perfect and best plan. In my head, being at one location for work would be sooooo much easier/simpler - which is my own pride trying to nudge in without having to rely fully on God. But, I know and cling to the fact that the Lord WILL meet me in the midst of my crazy schedule and HE will send "doctors" I don't even know are coming. Thanks for the reminder. Not sure what those "doctors" will look like, but that is part of the spectacular blessing God has for me. I will know it is from Him. I don't need to worry about how the next year will go - nor do I need to waste time fretting about the unknown. In HIS strength I will experience HIS victory and God-sized provision day by day - and I will be sweetly awed as it occurs. My job is to be attentive and watchful so I can give God all the glory and tell how He is sustaining me each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Ago...

Ten years ago, April of 2010 we were busy cleaning our house and selling everything we didn't think we would want in a year when we returned from Nicaragua.  Our plan was to spend a year in Nicaragua, actually, Dwight's plan was 6 months.  Our plan was for such a short time because if the kids were struggling or if it wasn't a good fit for us, then we could change plans and return to the U.S..  We rented our house furnished.  We all packed two suitcases and were ready to leave for Nicaragua on June 28.  The evening of the 27th we got a call from American Airlines saying our flight had been cancelled.  Wait a minute I thought; we are moving to Nicaragua, our bags are packed, we have left our house, you can't cancel our flight.  But they did and rescheduled us to fly out two days later. That is how our life has been over the last 10 years.  We make a plan, and our plan, for the most part, has not gone at all as we expected.  I think we are better for this.  Our expec

How Can They Grow So Fast?

Josh got on a bus today to travel 24 hours to Panama City, Panama. He will be gone until the 14th of March participating in a conference called HACIA Democracy (Harvard Association Cultivating Inter-American Democracy). He is a Nicaraguan delegate, representing the U.S. on their stand on gun control. He has studied and now will discuss and argue with others about this topic. Dwight said to me yesterday, as we are packing his suit, how did he grow up so fast? And my question was, did we do a good enough job, what have we missed? The time with our kids is so short and I am so thankful to know that every minute of their lives God has been right there loving them, teaching them and protecting them. They love Him and that is all I could ever want. I am so proud of each one of them. They don't spend so much time cuddling together but I know they love each other and desire the best for one another. They always support each other in their work, fun and dreams. They other night we

Time to Start Writing Again...

I stopped writing this blog a long time ago... I was tired of others always knowing what was going on in my life and with my family, well... tired of the ones that used my experience in a negative way.  But when I stopped writing because of the negative motives of one,  I kept the testimony of God's goodness from so many others. If my story can be an encouragement then I want to share, if my story will help someone know Jesus more then I want to share, if my story brings glory to God then for sure I want to share.  So I will try to share how I see Him working every single day.    I have learned a secret that leads to contentment... I believe contentment waits for us in gratitude and serving others.  Apart from these two things it is very difficult to have a lasting peace in your heart.  I have become a bit predictable in the groups I lead, there is one question that I feel is important... How have you seen God at work today?  This is a question I started asking a long time ago