Skip to main content

When Life Becomes Normal...

This is the family of two of our new girls at the Villa ~ Geyzel (Hazel) in the black and Kenia in the black and grey stripes.

I don't ever want to stop recognizing God at work every day! You know He is always at work? I am so thankful for the "Experiencing God" study, for the last 3 weeks I have been working on the study with the women that work at the Villa. I love to watch these women take bits of these truths and have a new encounter with God. I am reminded over and over again that it is God who changes hearts and my job is to be obedient to what He asks me to do.

I have been thinking so much about the ministry that Jesus had in his time on earth. I don't think there was anything very fancy about it ~ the amazing thing was His obedience to His Father. I desire and am learning to walk daily with Him trusting that He will show me all that I need to see and understand. The longer we live here the more I realize I don't understand. I was reading a book the other day and it was discussing Proverbs 3:5,6, a familiar verse to many. The author talked about how we desperately try to understand everything and if we don't understand we think there is a problem ~ but this verse says... "lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight". It's ok that I don't understand. In a way the less I understand the more I am dependent on God, a really good thing.

The family is doing well. Maggie and I will go to the airport tonight to pick up my friend LaFon and her friend Kari. We are excited to show them everything we love!

Last weekend we went to a place called Matagalpa ~ beautiful and cold! I was invited to go with my friend Ann to visit the Young Life camp, "la finca vida joven". On our way we dropped Dwight and the kids off at a place called "Selva Negra". They had a great day exploring, hiking, resting and eating. At Selva Negra we were surrounded by hills and trees, you could hear the howler monkeys all around!

To visit the Young Life camp was such a blessing! It brought back so many memories. I loved seeing the 270 young adults (19 - 30ish) worshiping, learning and sharing with each other. I was so impressed to see the excellence in the entire ministry. God is doing great things through the Vida Joven ministry here in Nicaragua.

We had 8 new girls move into the Villa in October. Before the girls arrived we were blessed with the beautiful house mom, Eveling. She is a gift to these girls and to the ministry at the Villa Esperanza. Bringing 8 teen age girls into your home is not easy, these girls have lived tough lives and now Eveling is loving them and bringing stability and security into their lives. Please pray for her as the transition is not easy.

This Saturday my Virginia Beach team arrives! We will leave for Rio Blanco on Sunday until next Friday. The kids are staying home and being cared for by our Quinta Allyson neighborhood, Natalie, Shirley and the Apilados ~ it takes a village!

Dwight is going with the men from ICF (our church) to the Montelimar for a retreat. I am thankful for the time for him to be able to process all that God is teaching.

We are doing well. We are thankful for your prayers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Ago...

Ten years ago, April of 2010 we were busy cleaning our house and selling everything we didn't think we would want in a year when we returned from Nicaragua.  Our plan was to spend a year in Nicaragua, actually, Dwight's plan was 6 months.  Our plan was for such a short time because if the kids were struggling or if it wasn't a good fit for us, then we could change plans and return to the U.S..  We rented our house furnished.  We all packed two suitcases and were ready to leave for Nicaragua on June 28.  The evening of the 27th we got a call from American Airlines saying our flight had been cancelled.  Wait a minute I thought; we are moving to Nicaragua, our bags are packed, we have left our house, you can't cancel our flight.  But they did and rescheduled us to fly out two days later. That is how our life has been over the last 10 years.  We make a plan, and our plan, for the most part, has not gone at all as we expected.  I think we are better for this.  Our expec

How Can They Grow So Fast?

Josh got on a bus today to travel 24 hours to Panama City, Panama. He will be gone until the 14th of March participating in a conference called HACIA Democracy (Harvard Association Cultivating Inter-American Democracy). He is a Nicaraguan delegate, representing the U.S. on their stand on gun control. He has studied and now will discuss and argue with others about this topic. Dwight said to me yesterday, as we are packing his suit, how did he grow up so fast? And my question was, did we do a good enough job, what have we missed? The time with our kids is so short and I am so thankful to know that every minute of their lives God has been right there loving them, teaching them and protecting them. They love Him and that is all I could ever want. I am so proud of each one of them. They don't spend so much time cuddling together but I know they love each other and desire the best for one another. They always support each other in their work, fun and dreams. They other night we

Time to Start Writing Again...

I stopped writing this blog a long time ago... I was tired of others always knowing what was going on in my life and with my family, well... tired of the ones that used my experience in a negative way.  But when I stopped writing because of the negative motives of one,  I kept the testimony of God's goodness from so many others. If my story can be an encouragement then I want to share, if my story will help someone know Jesus more then I want to share, if my story brings glory to God then for sure I want to share.  So I will try to share how I see Him working every single day.    I have learned a secret that leads to contentment... I believe contentment waits for us in gratitude and serving others.  Apart from these two things it is very difficult to have a lasting peace in your heart.  I have become a bit predictable in the groups I lead, there is one question that I feel is important... How have you seen God at work today?  This is a question I started asking a long time ago