Skip to main content

Around a round-a-bout and around and around and around.....

Having way too much fun at the mall in our free time!
Our Virginia Beach Team (maybe I am a little possessive)
Martha, Maggie and Monica looking beautiful for Karina's quincenera. The girls dressed Maggie this night, it was very special!!
We worked all day at Bethel School and then the kids shared cultural dances with us.
Katia y Katie ~ she is at HAT, a temporary foster care program for kids in danger.
She has captured my heart.
A family that lives at Tipitapa, across the road from the kitchen we built that will host the feeding program.
Praying to dedicate the kitchen and feeding program to God.
One of the 342 islands in Granada. How did they get there?
kids at Tipitapa
Maggie is in the red shorts, she is so good with kids.

It's all about the rotundas here in Nicaragua! What used to terrify me, I am now thankful for because it allows to me try again to find the place that I was trying to find! And when I still don't find it I just go around again. Maybe there should be rotundas in life!

The number one rule on a rotunda is, you cannot change lanes. So before arriving at the rotunda you have to know which direction you are going ~ I would say left, right or straight, Dwight says "how do you tell someone which direction" and then there are those that speak spanish but are giving directions in english and can't get it straight if a la izquierda is to the right or the left and inevitably it is always wrong! Dwight thinks at a rotunda you should speed up, after all it doesn't say to go any slower and I was thinking that we should slow way down ~ the correct answer is slow down a pay attention!

We have had a lot of laughs and moments where we should probably be fighting we have chosen to still laugh ~ what else can you do when it just does not make any sense? He's not right and I am not right ~ it's all just different.

School is going well! What a difference a week makes. There is a lot of homework and many new friends. Josh started soccer, which he loves. The coach works them very hard. He is not sure if he will make the team but he is having a great time working out with them. I love the school because they are tough academically and challenging my kids physically. Josh and Maggie have school pictures today, I am not sure how it works because they didn't send home the packet or a note with information.

I am thankful because the kids are seeming peaceful. I am sure it is a combination of many things; I am with them, they have a routine and they are getting rest. It's good.

Dwight will be going home on August 31 until September 10, we found out that his dad's long time companion, Phyllis past away last Saturday. Phyllis was very special to all of us; especially Maggie. Phyllis was such a great encouragement for my kids to love reading. Dwight wants to help his dad out with whatever he needs right now.

Yesterday we had the most amazing rain storm! I have NEVER seen rain like this, within minutes the roads were rushing rivers. We happened to be out driving, we were running errands and it was time to pick the kids up from school. We were going probably 15 or 20 mph and still could barely see. The roads are FILLED with potholes and the rain always brings new ones and fills some in. It was like ......... well really I have no words to describe it.

We found out last night that a girl named Ana, 14 years old, was walking home from school at the time of the rain and she lost her footing and was washed away by the water and drowned, this happened on our street. How could this kind of thing happen? Her mom hasn't left my mind. I don't know her, apparently she is a cook at the kids school. My heart breaks for her and my prayer is that she can let go of the image of her daughters death and remember her daughter in every good way.

Dwight and I have taken time this week to get a lot done at our house. It feels like we are settling in. I think we have decided to buy our furniture rather than rent it, this way we can make it how we want our home. One of the greatest blessings for Dwight is a man named Eddy that works here at Quinta Allyson, he is the fix it man. He and Dwight have spent a lot of time together and he has helped Dwight with this list in his mind that is always growing. Things that would be second nature to him at home, he is completely handicapped in here. Eddy has helped Dwight so much!!!

Ok, maybe that is enough for right now. We are so thankful for all of you and I am so thankful to hear from you, hint hint. katiekmcg@gmail.com

I will try to get the kids to write soon.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years Ago...

Ten years ago, April of 2010 we were busy cleaning our house and selling everything we didn't think we would want in a year when we returned from Nicaragua.  Our plan was to spend a year in Nicaragua, actually, Dwight's plan was 6 months.  Our plan was for such a short time because if the kids were struggling or if it wasn't a good fit for us, then we could change plans and return to the U.S..  We rented our house furnished.  We all packed two suitcases and were ready to leave for Nicaragua on June 28.  The evening of the 27th we got a call from American Airlines saying our flight had been cancelled.  Wait a minute I thought; we are moving to Nicaragua, our bags are packed, we have left our house, you can't cancel our flight.  But they did and rescheduled us to fly out two days later. That is how our life has been over the last 10 years.  We make a plan, and our plan, for the most part, has not gone at all as we expected.  I think we are better for this.  Our expec

How Can They Grow So Fast?

Josh got on a bus today to travel 24 hours to Panama City, Panama. He will be gone until the 14th of March participating in a conference called HACIA Democracy (Harvard Association Cultivating Inter-American Democracy). He is a Nicaraguan delegate, representing the U.S. on their stand on gun control. He has studied and now will discuss and argue with others about this topic. Dwight said to me yesterday, as we are packing his suit, how did he grow up so fast? And my question was, did we do a good enough job, what have we missed? The time with our kids is so short and I am so thankful to know that every minute of their lives God has been right there loving them, teaching them and protecting them. They love Him and that is all I could ever want. I am so proud of each one of them. They don't spend so much time cuddling together but I know they love each other and desire the best for one another. They always support each other in their work, fun and dreams. They other night we

Time to Start Writing Again...

I stopped writing this blog a long time ago... I was tired of others always knowing what was going on in my life and with my family, well... tired of the ones that used my experience in a negative way.  But when I stopped writing because of the negative motives of one,  I kept the testimony of God's goodness from so many others. If my story can be an encouragement then I want to share, if my story will help someone know Jesus more then I want to share, if my story brings glory to God then for sure I want to share.  So I will try to share how I see Him working every single day.    I have learned a secret that leads to contentment... I believe contentment waits for us in gratitude and serving others.  Apart from these two things it is very difficult to have a lasting peace in your heart.  I have become a bit predictable in the groups I lead, there is one question that I feel is important... How have you seen God at work today?  This is a question I started asking a long time ago